Saturday, September 22, 2012

Gluten Free-ish Pizza from Domino's

Say cheese.
OK, so Domino's makes it ABUNDANTLY clear that while they are pleased to offer a gluten free pizza crust, they cannot and WILL NOT call anything made with it a gluten free pizza because hello, it's Domino's and there's wheat flour flying all over the damn place and there's bound to be all sorts of cross-contamination so if you're really sensitive to gluten or have been diagnosed with celiac disease you probably shouldn't risk it.

But sometimes it's just too tempting to turn down hot, cheesy pizza delivered RIGHT TO YOUR DOOR. In thirty minutes or less!  Sometimes you're just totally exhausted and starving after a long day at work and think to yourself, fuck it, it's gluten free enough.

I've been gf for a long time, and I know my body and how it reacts to gluten.  I adhere strictly to the gf diet. But. If my gut is healthy and I haven't had any accidental glutening in a long time, I will occasionally "cheat" and allow the possibility of a little cross-contamination.  That's the most I can cheat: even a bite of something truly gluteny will knock me on my ass, but I can tolerate a few errant flecks of flour every once in a long while.

Last week I caved, and ordered up a "gluten free-ish" Domino's pizza using the handy-dandy iPhone app.  Damn.  My lazy ass wishes it were that easy to order up every meal.  Tap, tap, tap and done.  It even has a tracker feature that tells you when your pizza goes in the oven, and when it's out the door and on its way, letting you know it's time to turn on the porch light so the delivery driver can see your house number.

And holy hell, it's a good pizza.  The crust doesn't behave EXACTLY like a gluteny crust, but pretty darn close.  I got my pizza with white sauce, provolone cheese, roasted red peppers, feta, onions and extra olives.  It only comes in one size (10") and it's not cheap ($20 with all the toppings and delivery charge) but sometimes you just gotta indulge. 

I'm pleased to report, I didn't suffer any ill effects from any cross-contamination that may have occurred in the making of my pizza.  YMMV and I strongly suggest you proceed with caution when ordering from Domino's (or just don't do it) if you are highly sensitive to gluten.


No comments:

Post a Comment